We have to emphasize the importance of understanding the dojo etiquette for all our members and parents. Please read it thoroughly and try to explain it for your kids. It is mandatory to respect it att all time.
Dojo etiquette (Kyokushin requirements of etiquette)
Kyokushin karate is a disciplinary sport and has great demands on both practitioners and relatives / parents!
Dojo (training room) is considered a holy place where we train both physically and mentally. The students and their relatives must respect the dojon and observe the following rules both in the dojo and in the locker rooms:
1. Take off the shoes as you enter the room and put them in the changing room shoe shelves.
2. If a higher graded student is standing behind you at the entrance to the dojon, let it go in or out first.
3. When you walk in or out of Dojon, turn to Shomen (forward in Dojon), bend and say Osu. Then you turn to the higher graded, bows and says Osu. When you walk in or out of an empty dojo you turn to the shomen, bows and says Osu.
4. When the instructor enters the dojon you always show respect by standing with Osu. Other seniors (dangraderade) are also greeted with Osu when they enter the Dojon.
5. If you get late to exercise, put yourself in seiza at the entrance with your face against the wall. There you wait your eyes closed in mokuso. When the instructor shouts, you rise up, turn around, bows and say Osu to Shomen and then Osu to the instructor. Then jump quickly into the training at the back of the dojon.
6. It is not allowed to take any part of their dogi during exercise without being told to do so.
7. It is not allowed to eat, drink, chew gum, smoke and take photo / film in the dojon.
8. When you are told to take a seat or when setting up before and after training, always do it as quickly as possible.
9. When practicing kumite with someone who has a higher degree or black belt – do your very best but show respect for its degree.
10. Challenge a higher degree in kumite is not allowed.
11. You never leave your place (or doion) without having permission from the late teacher (instructor). Do not go between the instructor and the coaches or between the lines. If you are allowed to leave, you must go behind the line you are in.
12. When you sit down and study the exercise, be sure to sit correctly: sit in seiza or make adjustments and hold hands, do not talk. Parents allowed to watch the exercise must not sit with stretched legs in Dojo!
13. The instructor should always be addressed with the title that he has: Senpai 1st 2nd, Sensei 3rd 4th, Shihan 5th and then. Do not use their first name. This applies to both Dojon and neighboring areas. Keep in mind that even an instructor with kyu degree is appealed to Senpai.
14. Unfriendly swearing, laughing, kidding, talking, relaxing or acting familyly in the dojon. Achieving a higher degree gives no reason for being relaxed or acting family-in-law. Treat the other students and the training with respect and seriousness.
15. Turn away from the class or your partner if you have to fix your dogi or tie your belt (obi).
16. Your dogi should always be full and clean. The belt must never be washed – just aired. Respect your belt as a valuable symbol of your hard workout.
17. Listen carefully when instructed and always confirm the instructions with Osu. If you need to ask something, do it and always thank Osu.
18. The instructor should always be treated with respect and courtesy: karate begins and ends with courtesy. If you do not show respect for the instructor you should not be in a karate dojo. Do not question the instructions you receive during exercise and do not speak during exercise without the instructor’s permission.
19. Jewelry (necklaces, earrings, div. Piercings) and watches may not be worn during the training.
20. Nails on fingers and toes should be short cut. Wash hands and feet before exercise.
21. Go to the toilet before exercising to avoid interrupting the classroom for the restroom.
22. If you are an audience, you should be silent throughout the passport and not take the children’s attention in any way.
23. It is not allowed to use a mobile phone, tablet or computer on the dojo.